Are visas available on arrival?

Yes, tourist visas are available on arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) in Kathmandu and at land border crossings. Visitors can also get a visa before arrival at one of Nepal’s many embassies or consulates.

Bring cash to pay the visa fees. Fees are $30 USD for 15 day visa, $50 USD for 30 days and $125 USD for 90 days.

Can I change money at the airport?

Yes, there are money changers at the arrival area of the airport. We recommend changing money in the city where better rates are available. Bring your ATM card if you do not want to carry cash.

When is the best season to visit Nepal?

Most visitors arrive in the autumn (late September, October and through November when weather is most reliable and mountain views and scenery are vibrant). Spring is the second most popular season, the weather is favorable and Nepal’s national flower, the rhododendron is in bloom. The monsoon season lasts from June to September and can be quite wet unless you head north of the Himalaya, another possibility. Winter months can be cold but mountain views are good and it is always a pleasant climate at The Babu Adventures Resort! We can arrange activities throughout the year depending on your preferences and timetable.

Can I join one of The Babu Adventures courses and fixed departures as a single traveler?

Yes, of course! We often have single travelers who join fixed course dates and fixed departures. According to your style, you can participate with the group as much as you like. Single travelers can share rooms or tents with group members of the same gender.

What about altitude sickness and other illnesses while in Nepal?

The Babu Adventures itineraries are designed for safe ascent rates to altitude.

Before we begin any program, we provide information and a group briefing on altitude illness and awareness. Our experienced crew will be on the lookout out for its signs and symptoms.

Medication is also available that assists acclimatization (we recommend that you talk to your personal physician about this). The most effective remedy for altitude illness is descending. The following are mild signs of altitude illness:

  • headache
  • nausea
  • difficulty sleeping
  • loss of appetite
  • fatigue
  • dizziness

Serious signs include the following:

  • loss of coordination
  • difficulty breathing
  • confusion
  • headache
  • rapid resting heart rate
  • persistent cough, coughing up fluid
  • blueness of face and lips
  • vomiting

We have designed all programs for sensible travellers and our leaders are prepared for contingencies that can arise. The Babu Adventures has your health and well-being at the forefront of all of our decisions. Whenever there might be a need for rest and First Aid, then we are ready to provide it. For serious illness, we will evacuate clients to the nearest health facilities. If immediate rescue is necessary, a helicopter will be called in for transfer to Kathmandu for medical treatment (search and rescue insurance is mandatory before arrival to Nepal in addition to standard medical insurance).

Do I need insurance and can it be arranged after arrival in Nepal?

We highly recommend that you to arrange all insurance coverage in your home country. We can assist with arranging coverage after you arrive to Nepal, too. Insurance should include both medical, search and rescue, and 3rd person liability expenses.

Does The Babu Adventure Group carry First Aid materials?

Yes, we always have a standard First Aid kit with us on all of our programs. If you have your own needs and supplies, then please bring them along with you, too.

What vaccinations do I need to visit Nepal?

We recommend that you contact a travel clinic in your own country for updated travel advice when preparing to come to Nepal.

Additionally, we recommend the following pre-departure:

  • dental check-up
  • provide us your blood type while booking in the case of medical emergency.
  • provide us information about pre-existing medical conditions and medications taken at the time of booking.

What kind of food is provided at The Babu Adventures Resort and during adventures?

Meals and drinks are one of the most important and enjoyable components of travel. On trekking and travel routes, tea-houses and restaurants offer a wide range of delicious food (vegetarian friendly). Hot drinks including tea and coffee and snacks are usually available. At The Babu Adventures Resort, daily meals are prepared by our skilled chef using fresh organic ingredients, from our own garden.

How about drinking water during travel?

Boiled water will usually be available and we recommend that you bring a purification process, for example iodine tablets, with you. Shops in the tourist areas of Nepal have purification products for sale.

Will I be able to recharge batteries and electronic equipment during the journey?

Yes, at The Babu Adventure International School and Resort we have electricity. Most of the time along main routes it is possible to recharge equipment for a small service fee.

Is communication by phone and internet possible?

Yes, we have wifi at the Resort and along the main routes there are sometimes internet cafes, wi-fi and phone services. Generally, the higher elevation and more remote we go, the less these services will be available. 

What essential documents do I need to bring?

Along with your passport, bring passport size photos and insurance papers. We also recommend that you store documents on your electronic devices including flight details and emergency contacts. 

What do I need to bring while traveling in Nepal?

Most everyday items can be picked up in tourist areas of Kathmandu and Pokhara. What to bring depends on your personal style and the season you will be here as well as your specific activities.

The following is a basic list: daypack, good footwear with ankle support, sturdy water bottles, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, wind and waterproof jacket, warm inner layers, gloves, warm socks, headlamp, personal toiletries, universal adapter, camera with extra memory cards.

What are the specific regulations for flying in Nepal?

We will brief you on the rules and regulations put forth by the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) including where flying is allowed, updates specific to Nepal and CAAN’s oversight and what you will need to know about flying in the Himalaya. Youi can also have a look on paragliding sites in Nepal on our website for more info.

If I come with a license and gear, am I good to fly in Nepal?

Nepal’s governing body, CAAN, requires all foreign pilots to register and obtain a permit before flying in Nepal. The Babu Adventures and other agencies can arrange this permit for you (you can not obtain this permit by yourself, you have to ask through an official agency). Additionally, each area open to flying requires local sanction. Pilots are strongly advised to coordinate authorization for flying in specific areas with a local agency. The Babu Adventures is one of the few companies that can arrange clearance for all open flying areas of Nepal.

If I need equipment, is it available in Nepal?

Babu Adventure has all necessary equipment available for rent as needed. Even if you show up empty handed with no gear whatsoever and want to take a course or just fly, we will take care of you and get you in the air!

If I forget my paragliding licenses can I still fly?

We are trained to evaluate and certify your level and we can also provide necessary international licensure as appropriate;Yes, you will be able to fly according to your level and experience (determined by one of our instructors).

When is the best time to fly?

Nepal offers over 300 days a year suitable conditions for flying -- 300-plus days throughout the year when the weather is appropriate for gliding. Additionally, if you want the best Himalayan thermals and conditions to soar high (above 5000 m) and further, then mid-February to early March is ideal. For clearest views of vibrant scenery, great photos and videos, then late October to early December is vibrant. Short flights can be made almost anytime year-round.

What's included and what's excluded?


  1. Pick up and drop off from your arrival point, e.g., Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) to your hotel in Kathmandu; Pokhara airport/bus stand to your hotel in Pokhara; Pokhara to our resort in Sirkot and return from Sirkot to Pokhara.
  2. Tour accommodation at our three-star hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara (breakfasts included).
  3. Programs that start in Kathmandu include sightseeing tour of Kathmandu Valley with entrance fees to World Heritage Sites.
  4. Return travel to and from program starting point (including tax and government fees).
  5. Tea –house lodging during journey.
  6. Standard meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner during journey.
  7. Expert guide/instructor (certified by the government and appropriate agencies) with accompanying assistants (generally, one porter per two clients).
  8. Fees to enter Conservation Areas and National Parks as needed.
  9. Fees for Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) card as needed.
  10. First Aid Kit
  11. Farewell Dinner on the evening of your last day with us.
  12. Note: All of our multi-day courses include transport, food and lodging (with wifi)at a our private resort.


  1. International airfare to and from Nepal.
  2. Major meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara (other than breakfast).
  3. Personal Expenses accrued, e.g., laundry bill, telephone calls, bar bills, extra drinks and snacks.
  4. Expenses for personal clothing and gear.
  5. Travel and Medical Insurance.
  6. Extra fees at lodges, e.g., fees for shower, recharging electronic equipment, and other personal expenses.
  7. Tips for Guides, Porters and crew.
  8. Expenses caused by cancellation of events and activities that are beyond our control, e.g., weather delays, trail detours, political instability, illness of yourself or group member and etc.


Can I become a Paragliding Tandem Pilot?

Everybody can follow the path to become a tandem pilot and share the passion for flying with a passenger.

Do I need a special license to do a commercial tandem flight?

Yes. To operate commercial tandem flights, the tandem pilot must have a valid tandem T2 license issued by the CAAN and recogized by the Government of Nepal.


How long does it take to become a tandem pilot?

A minimum of 2 years for a skilled pilots intensively flying. After completing all the solo pilot courses (beginners, thermalling, XC, high altitude, first aid, SIV, RRC) and minimum 18 months after completing thge beginners course, the pilot can follow the tandem pilot course (T1). 

How much does it cost to become a tandem pilot?

The price will depend on the equipment you purchase, but approximately 8500 euro's.
This amount is just to give you an idea, the actual cost of becoming a tandem pilot might vary.


Any other questions, not answered in our FAQ?

If you have more questions or concerns, please contact us anytime. We are eager to hear from you. This includes questions about The Babu Adventures Group, Nepal, adventures or courses in the Himalaya or more specific information about booking, upcoming courses, health and safety concerns, what to bring with you and more.